Mary Thompson Skinner practices primarily in the areas of estate tax planning, estate/ probate administration and elder law. She is certified by the North Carolina State Bar as a Board Certified Specialist in Estate Planning and Probate Law. Ms Skinner also practices in the area of business law, including advising and forming closely held corporations, LLCs and professional associations. She is a Certified Public Accountant and applies this expertise to create added value for her clients by practicing in the areas of income and fiduciary tax planning and preparation as well as estate and gift tax return preparation.
Mary is a native of Durham, North Carolina where she practiced law for over twenty years before moving to Pamlico County with her husband, Charles, and their two children in 2004. Her children are now grown, and she and Charles live on Dawson Creek with their 6 dogs.
- Estate and Gift Tax Planning
- Estate Administration
- Elder Law
- Income and Fiduciary Tax Planning and Preparation
- Business and Corporate Law
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, B.S. (1976)
- University of North Carolina, J.D. (1981)
- Certified by the NC State Bar as a Board Certified Specialist in Estate Planning and Probate Law
- Certified Public Accountant
- Member – NC Bar Association, NC CPA Association, Craven, Carteret and Pamlico Bar Associations
- Estate planning and fiduciary law section if the NC Bar Association.
- Coastal Women’s Shelter, President 2012-14, Board of Directors – Current;
- Junior League of Durham and Orange Counties, President 90-91, Treasurer 1985-87, Member, 1978 – Present;
- North Carolina Symphony, former Board Member;
- Durham Chapter of NC Syphony, President 1994-95, former Board Member;
- Volunteer Center of Durham, former Board Member;
- YWCA of Durham, Treasurer 1977-79, former Board Member
3230 Country Club Road
New Bern, NC 28562